“Mississauga” translates as meaning “River of the North of Many Mouths”. Mississauga can trace its roots back to the early 1600s, where French traders encountered Native peoples, the Mississaugas, around the North Shore of Lake Huron. The Mississaugas were an Ojibwa group, and by the early 1700s had settled in the area around the Etobicoke Creek, Credit River and Burlington Bay.
In 1805, representatives for the British Crown and the Native Mississaugas signed a treaty referred to as the “Mississauga Purchase”. the Crown acquired over 74,000 acres of land excluding a 1 mile strip on each side of the Credit River from the waterfront to the base line (modern Eglinton Avenue). This tract of land surveyed in 1806 was named Toronto Township, and opened up the area for settlement.
Gradually settlers moved into the area, and over time small settlements became established. These settlements developed into the villages of Clarkson, Cooksville, Dixie, Erindale, Malton, Meadowvale Village, Port Credit and Streetsville.
The Town of Mississauga was created in 1968, and the City of Mississauga was incorporated in 1974, through the amalgamation of the Town of Mississauga and the villages of Port Credit and Streetsville, together with portions of the townships of Toronto Gore and Trafalgar. Mississauga has grown to be Canada’s sixth largest city.